Friday, February 27, 2009

Dentist appointment gone bad

I went to the dentist yesterday for a cleaning and to ask about my gums back where I had gotten my wisdom teeth removed about 5 years ago. Every other month my gums get inflamed and really sore for about 3 weeks and it hurts to talk, eat....well pretty much everything. So he looked at them and I guess my mouth is too small that I am not able to fit my gums back there and so they are squished which makes them easy to get irritated when I bite down or anything. So he said the best option would be to cut the gum off where there was too much. This of course sounded painful and scary but at the same time it was hurting so bad already I decided to do it. Well I have never had a cavity or anything in my life so anything other than just getting my teeth cleaned freaks me out.
He gets out this huge shot and has to numb my gums first which that alone scared me haha. I warned him that I get woozy really easy and pass out so he had to put the cartoon movie Pocahantus on for me while he did it. Then the nurse is holding the suction tube thing and he gets out this scapel and starts to remove the gum and she is suctioning up all the blood. Sick huh...I was so scared. I didnt feel anything which is good but just the thought freaked me out. Then he put gauze in my mouth and told me I had to clamp down on it hard for 45 minutes at least to stop the bleeding and for some reason that just really grossed me out. So as he is explaining to me that it will take 6 weeks to heal and I can only eat certain things I started to get sick and blurry vision. So i tell him I need to lay down and he helps me out and then continues explaining things to me. Then I start getting clamy and I knew I was about to pass out so they had to put wet washcloths on my face and get me water and have me watch more of the movie.
At that point I was really embarrassed cuz I couldnt get control of myself but I also didnt want to move and have another pass out episode like I did with the other doctor last month. So i get up and go to pay and cant even make it down the hallway without having to put my head down. So I am trying to pay and keep having to get on the ground. Embarassing huh...
But I am happy to say I never passed out which is amazing for me. I had to take the rest of the day off cuz once the numbing wore off it was pretty sore but lets hope it will fix everything. I guess its a 50/50 chance that it will just come back and we would have to do it again. If so.... Note TO Self....dont go alone and bring my husband to help me haha

2 comments:

  1. Yikes, that IS scary! I have never passed out but I don't imagine that it is any fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber! our blog is sethnmegsburke.blogspot.com - Sorry our cat was such a butt yesterday! Your cat is Gorgeous! Kind of random to ask, but do you know any tips on how to get cat hair off furniture?

    ReplyDelete